Sunday, December 1, 2013

PIE {Coconut Cream & Apple}

You might have seen that I've been working on my pie crust lately...I'm getting pretty good at it and my boys are loving that I keep having to "practice" with lots of pie. I have made several pies in the last few weeks and it has been AWESOME every time. {and they are both SUPER easy}.

I have used two different recipes for the crust. THIS one is easier to work with, and THIS one taste a little better. They are both good and they have turned out each time, but personally I like the taste of the Crisco one better however it is MUCH harder to work with!


COCONUT CREAM PIE

2 pkg Coconut Cream Pudding
2 1/2 Cups Cold Milk
1 8oz Cool Whip
Coconut for topping

Mix pudding mixes together with cold milk. Whisk well and let sit for 5 minutes to start setting. Pour Coconut cream mixture into pie crust. Top with Cool Whip. Let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes. 

In a frying pan, toast about 1/2 cup of coconut. I just toast it until it starts to brown. {it takes a minute to get it started and then it turns brown pretty quick so be sure to watch it carefully}

Top pie with toasted coconut and ENJOY!!




APPLE PIE

Using the same pie crust {but you do NOT have to cook it first}

4 Cups wedged apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of apples, to taste
2 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, to your taste
1 teaspoon cinnamon, to your taste
1 cup apple juice or 1 cup water, if you don't have juice, try to have juice, it adds to the flavor
Directions:

Sprinkle lemon juice over apples in saucepan. Mix next four ingredients together and add to apples. Mix well. Add very hot juice to pan, (I microwave juice for 2 minutes) cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and cool.

Fill a well chilled 9 inch pastry lined pan and cover with top crust. Bake on lowest rack at 425* for 10 minutes, and finish baking on center rack until bubbling, about 30 minutes more.



ENJOY YOUR PIES!! {I know we did!!!}

No comments:

Post a Comment